Friday 15 May 2015

Review | Alice in Zombieland, by Gena Showalter

What You Need To Know:

Title: Alice In Zombieland
Author: Gena Showalter
Number of Pages: 256
Genres: Romance, Young Adult, Fairy Tale, Paranormal, Retelling of a Fairy Tale, Modern Fairy Tale, Horror.
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Published: 1st June, 2012

The Plot:

Alice Bell is someone how appears to be an ordinary teenage girl. Except for the fact that her father won't let her do anything outside after dusk and he patrols the house at night with a gun. But, hey, all families are weird right? Wrong. Ali's family are far stranger.

On the night of Ali's birthday - something that her parents have forgotten .... again ... - she is finally able to convince her dad to leave the house in order to see her little sister in her latest recital.

That was a big mistake.

On there way home, during the dead of night, Ali and her family are involved in a horrible car crash. Her mother was ripped to shreds, her father thrown through the window and her sister's neck twisted like an Owl's all the way round. But Ali was left unharmed. It was in that moment that Ali's world came crashing down around her, along with the fragments of her own reality. Bodies were hunched over her father's and their heads seemed to be sinking and rising into his body; seemingly eating his organs and only coming up for air.

That night, Alice Bell was made an orphan and suddenly everything in her life no longer made sense.

She moves in with her grandma and grandad and is forced to change school; that makes her life even stranger. One boy, one of the apparent bad ones, she feels that she has a strange connection with. She is physically attracted to him. his handsome face, rippling body, scars. Oh and the strange visions that the two are sharing each time they make eye contact for the first time that day.

Time passes and she keeps seeing these strange visions as well as these creatures that seem to be regularly appearing near her house; almost stalking her. After finally approaching Cole - her vision bad boy - and his fellow bad boy friends, Ali is able to finally understand what she sees and the war that she is about to enter.

They are the strange, horrifying creatures that are only really mentioned in horror stories and films from years ago. But they are real, as real as the nose on Alice's face. Alice is about to fight ....

Zombies.

My Thoughts:

This is a series that I really wanted to read for ages, but haven't had the opportunity to read it because I couldn't find any of in any book shop in the whole of England!!!!!! Okay, maybe I'm over exaggerating a tiny bit I have good reason too, I couldn't find them anywhere! But then I was in a shop and the three books were available for £5. Not £5 each. Oh no, 3 for £5!!!!!!! EKKKKKK! And my dad brought them for me! I was out competing and he said that since I was doing well them he would buy them for me!!!! YES!

I've heard a lot of good things about this book, so I was excited to read it. And I have to say it did not disappoint.

Currently I am loving the modern fairytales, or the retelling of classic fairy tales. I've read quite a few lately (check out my reviews page if you want to check them out) and this book really kept up the rest … mostly.

There were some things in the book that I actually found quite boring. Moments when I really didn't connect with any of the characters. * And that really really annoyed me because the book was so good, but I found myself unable to read it for long periods of time because it bored me. **

Ali was a good character, I pitied her and I fell in love with Cole too. Though he did piss me off at times .... sorry about my French.

And the ending, I'm not going to release any spoilers but I have to say that I was both screaming and sobbing. Yep, it was one of those endings! I really can't go into too much detail because I will spoil everything ... it is one of these books .... Sorry, but I don't want to spoil anything for you.

Rating: 

Although I did enjoy this book, there were moments that I really annoyed me and I found them fairly boring. And that is why I am giving this book ****

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2015 - 26
XXX

*spoilers - I'm finding that with the second book (Alice Through the Zombie Glass) as well. I'm reading that one at the minute.*

** another spoiler - I still feel like this for the second book **


No comments:

Post a Comment