Sunday 3 May 2015

Review | Cinder, by Marissa Meyer

What You Need To Know: 

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Number of Pages: 387
Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Science Fiction, Dystopian,
Publisher: Macmillan Publishers
Published: 3rd January 2012

The Plot:

Cinder is a retelling of a classic fairy tale; a fairy tale we all know well. Cinderella who lives with her evil stepmother and ugly stepsisters. Forced to be a maid in her father's household. Given a chance to go the ball by her fairy godmother. Falls in love with the prince. Becomes a princess. We all know the story, right? Right!

Well, this is loosely based on that … and when I say loosely, I mean loosely!

Meet Cinder, a mechanic, an unloved adopted child … oh and she's a cyborg. Cinder lives in New Beijing with her step mother and two stepsisters. One of her sisters is lovely, her name is Peony, whilst the other is as bitter as her step mother.

In this world that they live in a disease runs rampant and all who get it die; they have no chance of survival. It's know as the blue plague and as soon as someone gets it then they are doomed. That's what happens to Peony, and everyone blames Cinder because of it; they were together at the time and an outbreak had occurred only a few hours before near where Cinder had been so it was obviously her fault!

Out of anger, Cinder's stepmother volunteers Cinder to undertake treatment that may help discover a cure for the disease. There she meets Doctor Erland and she discovers the first of many interesting things about herself; she's immune!

Not only that but she has Prince Kai to worry about! Every single girl is in love with him; including Cinder by the looks of things. Initially she was only meant to fix his droid. But as time goes on, and their encounters get more frequent, she discovers that perhaps she might have feelings for him.

And to make matters worse, the queen of the Lunars has a plan for world domination - though she claims that she really wants peace - and to complete this she has to marry Prince Kai. Something always has to get in the way of love in these stories; doesn't it.

Cinder is forced to fight not only her new found emotions for Prince Kai but also her fears towards her recently discovered identity. All of this she has to battle to ensure that Kai is safe so she has to do one thing, the one thing she really doesn't want to do. Cinder has to go to the ball.

My Thoughts: 

As you can likely tell from the fairly long description of the book, I really enjoyed this. Not an enjoy like, oh it was fairly good, but an enjoy like 'I WANT TO FINISH IT BUT NO AND UGH!' But I'll go into detail as to why soon.

When I was in the bookshop like three weeks ago, I really didn't know whether i'd like that book. Everyone on booktube and bookstagram person seems to love this series and I was like ... maybe ... I don't know if I'll like it; not really sure about a futuristic retelling of Cinderella. But I thought, hey ho, who gives a damn! I fancied a new book and everyone was giving this amazing views, so I bought it.

I have to say that I'm so glad I did; it was so amazing! But I'll get on to that later.

I really enjoyed Marissa Meyer's writing style. It was such a refreshing style. It wasn't too in depth so it didn't complicate the book (unlike my previous read which was written a bit like a dissertation). However, it was detailed as well. I know that that contradicts itself in a way but it is true. In a fairly unique way Meyer explains her world without going into unnecessary detail.

The book instantly hooked me. There was something about the opening quote that really really hooked me. I'm going to mention it to you now, because it really is amazing: 'Even in the future the story begins with Once Upon a Time'. I love that quote. To me it was that that really hooked me. It seemed to be the perfect way to initially grip a reader.

From then on, I knew that I would like the book. I literally fell in love with Prince Kai and I really felt sorry for everything that happened to Cinder.

I have to say that I did predict the overall outcome at the end of the book when it was vaguely mentioned. But how that occurred I couldn't really guess. Yes I did sort of figure that out near the end but I didn't straight away, which is good! I forgive the above facts because the book was just so blooming amazing!!!!!!!

Review: 


Yes, there were tiny faults. Like how predicable the final was for me. But the rest I didn't see coming, at all. And the writing was just so nice. I really really loved reading this book. And because of that I have to give this *****

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2015 - 24
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment