Thursday 4 June 2015

Review | The Queen of Zombie Hearts, by Gena Showalter

What You Need To Know:

Title: The Queen of Zombie Hearts  
Author: Gena Showalter
Number of Pages: 459
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Fairy Tale, Horror, Modern Fairy Tale, Retelling of a Fairy
Publisher: Harlequin
Published: 30th September, 2014

The Plot:

Everything seems to be fine in Ali Bell's life for the first time in many months. She is back in a comfortable relationship with her boy friend, Cole. She's finally keeping on top off her school work whilst still spending her nights hunting.

This isn't the type of hunting that most people would think. This is the hunting of vile creatures none only in legends. Zombies. Zombies killed her sister and her parents all those months ago and since then Ali has joined forces with a seemingly bad crowd (who are know some of her closest friends) to kill them each night.

Not too long ago, Ali had a beast living inside her. This was a creature of Zombie blood who attempted to destroy her, yet with the use of the fire that the hunters contain they were able to destroy this Zombie Alice. And they were also able to defeat the leader of a group of scientists who want to use the zombies to combat diseases. Meaning that they want to kill all the hunters.

In this moment of calm, a storm suddenly hits and Alice's world is once again turned upside down. Not only are many lives endangered but Alice discovers something new about herself that has altered her life completely.

Her family might not be her family.

My Thoughts:

I've heard good things about this book and I have been enjoying the series so I thought why not read this book and wait for several long months until the next book comes out. I loved the first book, but the second book was a tiny bit annoying if I'm honest! It was really really really slow. The final part of the book was really good but it was so dull in parts, I literally wanted to curl up in the corner of the room and go to sleep. It was so dull. So I had mixed emotions when it came to this book. I knew that I was either going to love it or hate it!

Up until the final few chapters of this book, I thought this book was brilliant. I really enjoyed how fast past it was. I think it was in the first twenty or so pages which completely hooked me. It was so bloody amazing. There really was something about Showalter's writing at the start of this book, I was able to just connect with it. And when certain events took place I was literally terrified to turn the page just incase someone died. Also by this point I have completely fallen in love with all the characters so I was ready to complete bloody murder if someone endangered one of babies!

Also the cover was so beautiful. I love all the covers (although the Alice on the cover is nothing like I think Alice should look like so that has obviously annoyed the living hell out of me!) because of the sheer difference of them. There is just something about them which really attracts my attention. It might be the grey, ornate picture frame with images that can seem fairly disturbing when you look at it for a long period of time.

However, the book went down hill drastically. There was a point when it should have just ended because the rest of the book was written so poorly that I wanted to cry. If Showalter had ended the book before then it would have been a brilliant cliff hanger which would make me cry and scream and beg for the next book to be out. But she didn't. It was literally written like a poor fanfic. We all know them, hell some of us may have written our own share until we understood grammar and punctuation, as well as tone and pace. It felt like she had to write it in 24 hours and included something that could have taken over a hundred pages to complete in about 10. It really really really pissed me off! If she hadn't done that then I would have given this book at least four stars ... hell probably even five but no she had to go a ruin it at the end!

Rating:

So I did love this book but small things annoyed me and the ending just pissed me off. I mean a ten year old could have written that better! It was bad!!!!!!!!! So that's why I had to give this book ⭐️⭐️⭐️
It could have been worse. If I hadn't loved the rest of the book then from the ending alone I would have given it a one or two!

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2015 - 29
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment