Sunday 15 November 2015

Review | All I Know Now, by Carrie Hope Fletcher

What You Need To Know:
Title: All I Know Now
Author: Carrie Hope Fletcher
Number of Pages: 352
Genre: non-fiction, advice, guidance
Standalone/Series: standalone
Publisher: Little Brown Books
Publication Date: 23rd April, 2015

The Plot:
All I Know Now is the guide on how to survive the stressful world that is the 'teen age'.Growing up can be hard to do so this book helps to combat some of the harder topics for adolescents such as bullying and body image.
Thus helping any young adults to grow up gracefully ... most of the time.

My Thoughts:
I rarely ever read non-fiction. It's something that I really don't connect well with. I only really read non-fiction when I read text books. But I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't have the best high school experience and I think that this book would have been really really helpful for me back then.

The layout was brilliant. For those of you who don't know, Carrie Hope Fletcher is a musical theatre actress so it's set out like a programme! It has different acts for the different topics and an interval and a props list. I loved those ideas because it let me take pauses between the different acts. The interval was a nice divide between the two sections. Whilst the prop list has a detailed list that people can go to for help such as child line and other sites like that. That little detail truly touched me.

It's also filled with these little doodle illustration things that were drawn and put in by Carrie herself. They're lovely and fit in so well. One example being that for the interval page there is an image of Carrie in her Eponine costume as she is currently playing Eponine in Les Mis on the West End.

I have to admit something. I wasn't sure how I would feel about Carrie's writing style. I have followed her on Youtube since basically the beginning and she is very chatty and I wasn't sure how she was going to incorporate that. But I was pleasantly surprised. Her writing style is so informal that it felt like I was reading a letter or a transcript from one of her videos; she had perfectly captured her own thought process. It was both personal and informative which you have to admit is a bizarre combination. Yet it somehow worked.

Rating:
I just felt like I had to give it *****. I think that maybe I would have given it four and a half stars it that were an option but it wasn't because it wasn't completely perfect yet it is wasn't merely a good. So I thought that the five stars was the best option.

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2015 - 62
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment