Sunday 15 November 2015

Review | Fairest, by Marissa Meyer

What You Need To Know:
Title: Fairest 
Author: Marissa Meyer
Number of Pages: 256
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Fairy Tales, Retellings, Romance, Novella
Series/Standalone: Prequel/Bridge book to the Lunar Chronicles
Publisher: Fiewell and Friends
Publication Date: 1st March 2015

The Plot:
Queen Levana's story is finally told in this bridge book/prequel between 'Cress' and 'Winter'. People know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her 'glamour' to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived in a very different story.
An unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death.

My Thoughts:
There's only one thing that disappointed me about this book. It wasn't long enough. It was so short (and addictive) that I basically read it in one sitting. Something that I never get chance to do anymore. Oh the joy of being a student. But I binge read this book.

I don't really know if I would class this as a prequel. It holds some minor spoilers for some of the earlier books so you should probably read them in the publication order: Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, Fairest and Winter.

This book instantly hooked me. From the confusing opening to the dramatic ending and all the things in between. It had such an amazing narrative and it had all the writing genius of the rest the books.

Initially I began to feel sorry for her (her being Levana) but as the book continued I realised how twisted she actually was. Seeing it through her point of view was a truly magnificent way to show how she became the evil queen. It is true what they say; evil isn't born, it's made.

Although I don't feel sorry for Levana, per say, but I do understand her more. Which I think is why Marissa Meyer wrote Fairest. It makes you see the madness because there is always a new perspective that you can have on a villain. Think of Wicked or Maleficent; the list goes on.

Rating:
So I am going to give this book *****

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2015 - 62
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment