Friday 15 January 2016

Review | Desires of the Dead, by Kimberly Derting

What You Need To Know:
Title: Desires of the Dead
Author: Kimberly Derting
Number of Pages: 355
Standalone/Series: Second Book in the Body Finder Series
Genres: Young Adult, Mystery, Romance, Fantasy, Paranormal, Supernatural
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Publication Date: 15th February, 2011

The Plot:
The missing dead call to Violet. They want to be found. Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally, she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands and wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.

My Thoughts:
Last year I got The Body Finder for Christmas and I was completely obsessed with it. It is an amazing book which perfectly marred the use of the paranormal and romance with a sleek suspense icing on top. I hadn't read anything like it since then. It was completely unique. Now I had the fear that the second book would disappoint me, that I would just sort of read this book and it just would dwindle under the pressure.

Thankfully it did not. It was written just like the first book with the majority of the chapters written in Violet's point of view and then the odd one from the stalker character.
I went on a real emotional journey along with Violet, just as I did in The Body Finder, through out this book. The Prologue instantly hooked me, knowing that there was a threat on a certain characters life at some point I was slightly terrified. I devoured this book to ensure that someone didn't die. I could't stand not knowing and I spent my only double free reading when I should have been doing work ............. oops.

Violet and Jay's relationship changes from the sweet crush that they had to something well .... hotter, sexier even and far more complicated than in the Body Finder. The two aren't just best friends anymore so it makes sense that things would be complicated. But I have to say that they are possibly my favourite couple in YA lit. They are realistic, yes the two of them are obviously madly in love but they still hold the intimacy and trust issues that all couples go through in their initial months together. And they haven't been through the same events as most couples either.

There were times, however, when I was rather annoyed with Violet's character. I can understand why people were disappointed with the book because she did become a bit of a needy, and slightly jealous, girlfriend in places. Although it was completely understandable, it did get a bit annoying after some time.

I didn't see the twist at the end of the book with the identity of the Stalker. I had my suspicions who it was and I was correct but I didn't see it happening in that way. It was a rather good twist. Though some people have said that it was predictable at times, which I will agree, I don't think that anyone could have seen how it was going to end. The idea that a person can have the same echo twice; I didn't see that coming at all.

Finally, Kimberly Derting's description of the various echoes is beautiful. I love the idea that they all have different sounds or scents; it makes the idea of death rather beautiful.

Rating:
Although Violet did get a bit annoying at times, I loved this book so I have to give it
*****

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2016 - 2
XXX




No comments:

Post a Comment