Wednesday 24 February 2016

Review | Queen of Shadows, by Sarah J. Maas

What You Need To Know:
Title: Queen of Shadows
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Number of Pages: 648
Series/Standalone: the forth book in the Throne of Glass Series
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Magic, Adventure
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Publication Date: 1st September, 2015

The Plot:
Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she’s at last returned to the empire— for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past…
She has embraced her identity as Aelin Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen. But before she can reclaim her throne, she must fight.

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die for her. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen’s triumphant return.


My Thoughts:
Epicness. The one word that I would use to describe my opinions on Queen of Shadows is epicness. I loved Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight. Heir of Fire literally blew me away and broke my heart in about fifty million pieces.

"She was a whirling cloud of death, a queen of shadows, and these men were already carrion."

I was utterly blown away by Ms Maas' writing in this book. She adapted just as Celaena adapted in Aelin. That specifically was amazing. You will be completely astonished with the unraveling of Aelin Ashryver Galathynius because this is the first time you meet her as she hasn't been all that visible. She's still the same heroine we've come to love and adore over the previous books and yet she has a different persona. She has every trait of Celaena Sardothien yet has truly mastered a unique character through her stubborn but sassy nature of this brave young woman and stunning character development into the fierce Queen we only glimpsed in Heir of Fire. Aelin is in complete control of everything around her, even if it doesn't look like it at times, and she is ready to reclaim her Kingdom in the usual flamboyant style.

"But she has her own champion now"

In addition  to that, she has matured a long way and, for the first time, we see her without her impulsive side. Instead she's more observant and kinder in places.

"Elegant, feminine, and utterly wild. Warm and steadfast - unbreakable, his queen."

We met  wide range of new characters in this book, or characters who we've only heard of.
Lysandra the Courtesan, who is beginning ot become my favourite character after the disappearance of her bitchiness from 'The Assassin's Blade'.
Elide Lochan, potentially the bravest of them all.
Nesryn Faqin the rebel, who I was slightly off with initially but now adore.

"Ten years of shadows, by no longer, light up the darkness, majesty."

And then there's Abrobynn Hamel. the King of Assassins, who was as tyrannical and scheming as I imagined. He was a ruthless bastard who got everything he deserved.

"The prick was enjoying every second of this. If Dorian was dead or hurt -"

Now onto some of my reoccurring favourite characters.
Rowan Whitethorn returns and is a main focus again and I rather enjoyed the sight of him. The alpha-male intensity and those rare moments when he let his emotions take over. Aelin's effect on him after his return brings out a new side to him, that we'd only glimpsed briefly, he was sweet and protective. It was adorable!

"Rowan stood with his queen in the rain; breathing in her scent, and let her steal his warmth for as long as she needed."

Aedion Ashryver is basically a male version of Aelin with the sassy comments and the quick temper. Seeing them together was wonderful. Even though they did almost kill each other several times.

"Behind them, across the hall, the dancers shattered their roses on the floor, and Aedion grinned at his queen as the entire world went to hell."

I have to admit that Chaol wasn't my favourite character in this book. Please don't hate me for admitting that. He was a bit of an arse to Celaena at the start and although he did sort of return to the man he was before as the book developed, I was sort of put off of him. Yes, it does make sens that he felt and acted the way he did with everything going on with Dorien. But that doesn't mean that he didn't piss me off.

"Maybe this city did deserve Aelin Galathynius' flames. Maybe Chaol deserved to burn, too."

Speaking of Dorien, the poor boy! Things were not easy for him in this book. Who would have though that Manon would be one of his greatest saviours. Certainly not me!
But the way that Dorien and Aelin completed each other with their magic! They may not have worked out well as lovers but they certainly fit together as rulers!

"They were infinite. They were the beginning and the ending; they were eternity. The King standing before them gaped as a shield of flame died out to reveal Aelin and Dorien, hand in hand, glowing like new born Gods as their magic entwined."

I shall admit this now, I never liked Celaena with Chaol or Dorien. I despise love triangles which I am sure you all know by now. I think they are tacky. Not only that but I felt that their relationships were forced at times. They just didn't feel realistic.
But I am so happy Rowan was introduced. There was always something there, something I knew would eventually surface. I basically grinned and giggled at a lot of the scenes. But I can't be the only one who now wants a possessive fae, right?  

"He shifted his arms so he could brush her hair back. His fingers lingered along her jaw. 'You make me want to live, Aelin Galathynius,' he said, 'Not exist - but live!'"

Rating:
This was an amazing book, much like its predecessors, and I cannot wait until the next book is released. *****

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2016 - 14
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment