Sunday 28 February 2016

Recommendations | Underrated Books

When watching Booktube, I saw a video by Benjaminoftomes talking about some books that he has read which he believes should be bigger than they are. I have read hundreds of books that I feel more people should know about so I thought I would copy this idea.
I have shortlisted five books that I feel more people should read.

The first book is .... Procession of the Dead, by Darren Shan 
People have probably heard of Darren Shan because he has several famous series out there. Such as the Darren Shan saga (which was turned into a film). But not a lot of people know about his book (which may have been turned into a series, I don't know) called Procession of the Dead. I got this book for my 16th and I think it was one of my favourite books for that year.

Quick-witted and cocksure, young upstart Capac Raimi arrives in the City determined to make his mark. As he learns the tricks of his new trade from his Uncle Theo he's soon on his way to becoming a promising new gangster. Then he crosses paths with The Cardinal, and his life changes forever.

The second book is ..... Skulduggery Pleasant, by Derek Landy 
This amazing series kept me loving reading. I was in a period of time when I was fed up of people telling me that reading was stupid and I was stupid for reading and if I hadn't been introduced to this amazing series then I would not be writing this blog. 

Meet Skulduggery Pleasant:
Ace Detective
Snappy Dresser
Razor–tongued Wit
Crackerjack Sorcerer
and
Walking, Talking, 
Fire-throwing Skeleton
—as well as ally, protector, and mentor of Stephanie Edgley, a very unusual and darkly talented twelve-year-old.
These two alone must defeat an all-consuming ancient evil.
The end of the world?
Over his dead body.


The third book is actually more to do with the author. Anything written by Bali Rai
This talented author is actually from near me and would regularly visit my old school. He is a lovely gentlemen, who is insanely talented, and I think he deserves to have so many more fans than he does. Most of his books are about different aspects of Asian life. Which is rather fascinating since I am a white girl. In these books he incorporate's real life as well including amazing plots! He does have a different styled book, it's a sci-fi distopian which is amazing. That is called Fire City and I would recommend it (and him) to anyone who likes demon styled books. 

The forth book is ..... Forsaken, by Jana Oliver
This is the first book in the Demon Trapper series and it is still one of my favourite young adult books out there. Yes, it is another demon book but trust me when I say that it is amazing and people need to read it. I have no idea why loads of people don't know about this amazing  series so please go and check it out. 

Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary demon trapper Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps.  The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood.  And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?


And finally book five is ....... My Sword Hand Is Singing, by Marcus Sedgwick 
This is like nothing else I've read, similar to all of this talented authors books, and by another author I have had the pleasure of meeting thanks to being a librarian at my old school. I did a book awards thing called The Carnegie Awards up until I left the school and I had the pleasure of meeting this author through that (and getting my copy of the book signed in the process!). 
All I can really say about this book is to read it for your self (and the rest of his books because they are amazing!)

WHEN TOMAS AND HIS SON, Peter, settle in Chust as woodcutters, Tomas digs a channel of fast-flowing waters around their hut, so they have their own little island kingdom. Peter doesn't understand why his father has done this, nor why his father carries a long, battered box, whose mysterious contents he is forbidden to know.

But Tomas is a man with a past: a past that is tracking him with deadly intent, and when the dead of Chust begin to rise from their graves, both father and son must face a soulless enemy and a terrifying destiny.


-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2016 - 15
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment