Friday 22 April 2016

Review | Winter, by Marissa Meyer

What You Need To Know:
Title: Winter
Author: Marissa Meyer
Number of Pages: 823
Genres: Young adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance, Retellings, Fairy tales, Dystopia
Standalone/Series: Forth book in the Lunar Chronicles 
Publisher: Fiewel and Friends 
Publication Date: 10th November, 2015 

The Plot:

Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?

My Thoughts:
How do you write a review on 823 pages of outstandingness? Winter was probably my most anticipated release of the year. I feel in love with the series over the course of the year so I knew that I needed to get my hands on this as soon as it came out. Everything had been building up until this moment. Cinder and Levana's confrontation. Would anyone die? Would there be any dramatic twists that no one expected until 'BANG!' there it was right in front of you; leaving you in a crying bundle of despair in the corner of the room. How would the Lunar Chronicles end? 

"She would have auctioned off the Milky Way if it would have made his intentions a little less honourable."

Starting this book was like returning to an old friend. To see the characters once again was rather nice because they all seem so real to me. I forget that they are supposed to be around my age because everything that they are dealing with is so out there that I would never deal with it. Yet there were moments that showed their age through the different ideas of love or the fear. They seemed realistic and it's so refreshing because not many young adult characters are believable.  Look at Cinder for example, she has had so many horrible things happen to her yet she is still a nice person who cares about those who have wronged her. Like her traditional counterpart; Cinderella. But I love that about her and because of that she gets so many amazing friends; a lesson for all of people out there.

"She's our lost princess. And she's coming home."

I found in this book that I started to love characters that I disliked before. Well okay not disliked but they weren't my favourite and then suddenly I found myself enjoying them. The main example of this is Winter. There was something about her in the previous book that I was like ..... no! Probably because of the whole situation with Scarlett but in this book she seemed more real. Especially with having read Fairest just before. That really made me feel sorry for her. And the whole Snow White situation just touched my heart strings. 

"She was prettier than a bouquet of roses and crazier than a headless chicken. Fitting in was not an option."

I feel that I need to mention Marissa Meyer's writing style in this. It was so elegant especially with the multiple story lines at one point. Usually I hate multiple narratives because they are executed rather badly. Each voice mingles with the other and there is no way of really knowing what actually happens. It is rather depressing really. But Ms Meyer was perfect as usually. Each time I switched narrative I knew exactly what was going on and each voice was completely unique. Something that really surprised me because at one point we had five or six different story lines at one point: Cinder, Kai, Wolf, Cress, Scarlett and Winter; with the occasionally from Levana herself. How perfect is that!

"Yeah, but broken isn't the same as unfixable."

The ending was the main thing that I was worried about. I also find that the ending of a long series can be a bit limp or flimsy. Almost as if the author just decides: "that's it, I can finally be done with this!". And I know that I was not the only person who was worried about how this was going to end. But it ended in the best way; a traditional fairytale ending. 

"And they all lived happily to the end of their days."

Review:
The perfect ending to the perfect series. I cannot wait to read Stars Above so I can finally discover some extra information about some of my favourite characters. This amazing retelling truly deserves this rating *****

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2016 - 30
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment