Friday 13 May 2016

A Theatre Geek's Book Tag (Original)

Not too long ago I came across a tag called The Musical Theatre Book Tag and I was really excited because I was going to be able to do something that expresses my two favourite things: musical theatre and books. Sadly I was disappointed because it expressed fairly obvious musicals through with titles that I personally didn't think worked. So I decided to create my own. In no way do I want it to seem that I am stealing anyone's thunder or anything and I mean no offence to Somethinglikelydia for changing it round. Also I mean no offence to anyone about any of the titles that I have given to certain musicals and books. This is just my personal opinion. So let's get started.

1. Carrie: Best Horror 
Horror is a genre that I rarely read so I have to say that there are very few books that genuinely scare me. But one book that terrified me when I read it a few years ago was It by Stephen King.
No wonder I'm scared of Clowns! 

2. West Side Story: Best Classic 
There are so many that could slip easily in to this category but there is one that I know will have a place in my heart above all others and if I'm honest, it's a rather strange one. For me, the best classic that I've read has to be Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I read it almost five years ago for school and I feel completely in love. It was a masterpiece and I need to read it again soon just so that I can feel it's joy once more.

3. The Book of Mormon: Best Comedy 
Another genre that I won't search out for. I prefer books that have comedy as an undertone rather than being completely comedic throughout. But I had to settle with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.
This book has such a perfect blend of comedy and science fiction. I loved it and it still makes me chuckle thinking about it now. 

4. Hamilton: Best Historical 
A genre that I used to read so much when I was younger but I have to admit I've dwindled out of it. Probably because I read it so much. But my favourite has got to be The Minaturist by Jessie Burton. 
I know it gets mixed reviews but I felt that it perfectly discussed topics such as homosexuality and how they were addressed in previous cultures and centuries. It was really enlightening if I'm honest. 

5. Kinky Boots: A Guilty Pleasure
There are so many books that could fit into this category but I have to admit that there is one book that immediately springs to mind. That book has got to be The Selection, by Kiera Cass. This is the type of book that I would normally never read. It isn't quite fantasy or dystopian but I adored that series (well the first three books). It really is a guilty pleasure. 

6. Little Shop of Horrors: A Childhood Favourite 
Oh childhood. How I miss thee! The innocents of life back then was breathe taking and one of my favourite books that I was obsessed with when I was younger has to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll.
Need I explain anymore. A beautifully crafted story that I still hold in my heart now. Surely I can't be the only one who loves it. 

7. The Colour Purple: Best Book to Film Adaptation 
I'm probably not the only person who feels that so many book to film adaptations are poor. Why can't directors stick to the plot of the book? I except you are going to miss some stuff out but please don't change everything! But one book that I feel fits this category has got to be The Book Thief, by Marcus Zusak. Yes, it isn't perfect but at least it sticks to the plot line!

8. Miss Siagon: A Book That Makes You Cry 
Me Before You, by Jojo Moyles. Need I explain anymore. I'm not usually a person who cries at books but I was blubbering mess after this book. And really that's all that I have to say about this book. 

9. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: A Feel Good Book 
This is the type of book that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside; something that can just cheer you up and make you feel good. For me this has got to be Anna and the French Kiss, by Stephanie Perkins. It just made me feel happy and I loved it so much and I know that I'm not the only one who feels lies that! I was stressed about life and I read this in one sitting to just get my mind off of life! It really did make me feel good!

10. Wicked: An Overrated Book
I hate to say this (and I know some people will probably kill me for this) but it has got to be The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. Any of John Green's books would fit into this category really and it isn't a secret how much I disliked this book is it. It's so overrated and there are plenty of other books that people should check out instead! 

11. Heathers: An Underrated Book 
There are so many books that fit into this category but the one that pops into my head first is Fire City by Bali Rai. Demons and romance and badass characters; a perfect plot line, I do believe. Bali is a beautiful writer and he deserves more reads!

12. Into the Woods: A Book with Extraordinary Characters
I know that there is one book that people will think I'm about to say but I am going to say to throw a curve ball into the mix. The Colour of Magic, by Terry Pratchett or the Discworld in general. The characters in this world are just outstanding!

13. The Wizard of Oz: A Book That's Out of This World
This has got to be my favourite book of 2015: Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. It is unlike anything else and people need to check it out! I can't say too much because it will spoil it for people but please please please go and check it out. It really is out of this world (in both settings and the book itself).

14. Ghost: Best Fictional Relationship
Levi and Cathy from Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell. They are normal people and I do think that they are my OTP and I don't even really like contemporary work! They are normal humans and they just seem realistic. A couple that I can believe in and could actually be a part of my everyday life.

15. Newsies: A Book That Everyone Should Read
I know that everyone is going to have guessed what I'm about to say. My favourite book that's out there. The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkien. So many people have not read this and it deserves to be read considering that it all but started fantasy. Yes the language is different because it was written at the start of the 20th century but people really need to give it ago. It is so beautiful and really is a masterpiece of literature.

And here we go. That was A Theatre Geek's Book Tag. What did you think? If you want to do this then please feel free. TAG YOU'RE IT! (Just let me know that you've done it please)

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2016 - 39
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment