Tuesday 14 June 2016

Review | The Glass Castle, by Trisha White Priebe

What You Need To Know:
Title: The Glass Castle
Author: Trisha White Priebe
Number of Pages: 259
Genres: Fantasy, Middle Grade, Christian Literature
Series/Standalone: First Book In The Thirteen Series
Publisher: Shiloh Run Press
Publication Date: 1st March, 2016

The Plot:
The king is growing old and is concerned about who will replace him. His new wife wants to produce an heir to the throne.  The only problem? Thirteen years ago, the king’s first wife gave birth to a son, and no one knows for sure what happened to him. Rumors swirl throughout the castle. The solution as simple: dispose of all the thirteen-year-olds in the kingdom. Except, it isn’t that easy. Avery and her friends won’t go quietly.   Avery, Kate, Tuck, and Kendrick take charge of the underground network of kidnapped children, inspiring them to believe that their past does not dictate their future and pledging to do the hardest thing of all. . .reunite the children with the homes they left behind.  When they discover that one among them might be the child of a man who wants them dead, will everything they work for be lost?

My Thoughts:
When this book first popped up, I have to admit that I was slightly cautious. The blurb made it sound okay. Sure it could have been described in a slightly better way but there are far worse blurbs out there. It was the fact that it was listed as "christian literature" that made me slightly cautious. I've only read a handful of books that fits in with this genre but I have to admit that they were interesting. One such example was The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis. This was written to educate children on the nature of evil and the story of Jesus in the desert. It doesn't spam people with the religion. In fact, I didn't realise it was about christianity until I was much older. So I went into this book with open minds.

Sadly, I was disappointed.

This book was extremely bad. It had randoms sections of religion that made no sense at all, almost as if the author was forcibly pushing religion onto the young children. Not to mention that the plot was extremely flimsy. There were so many opportunities for there to be major turning points in the plot that were revealed in lazy fashion. It made things that should been breathtakingly shocking into a "yeah, you've told me that already" so of fashion. It was just dull.

Not to mention the characters, they were so unbelievable. They were all supposed to be thirteen but they spoke like adults using slang in places. I don't know really. It just annoyed me, so much. There was so much promise with them and at times they were described really well but it just went limp.

Rating:
There were so many opportunities for this book to be great, it had a relatively good plot idea and it was crafted, in a broad sense, rather well. It was just poorly executed and I found myself forcibly reading it. I didn't really care what happened and I doubt that I'll pick up the rest of the series when it comes out. Hence why I gave this book *

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2016 - 43
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment