Sunday 10 July 2016

Top Ten Books I Want To Read This Summer

My long summer has been underway for about two weeks now and that means one thing, reading. So I thought that I would share with you the top ten books that I want to get to this summer. This isn't a tbr because I can never ever stick to them but just a few books that are on my shelf that, so long as I don't get stuck in a reading slump, I want to read. Let's get started in no particular order.

Graceling, by Kristin Cashore
This follows Katsa who has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight - she's a Gravelling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. Even though she is the King's niece she is forced to work as a thug.

I picked this up when I was in a reading slump a few months ago but I was in a slump so I couldn't read it. But so many people love it and I really want to read it. Hence why it's on this list.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke
This gigantic books is set in 1806, with the Napoleonic War as a backdrop, and most people believe that England is all but dead. That is until the reclusive Mr Norrell reveals his powers. Jonathan Strange, a practicing magician, becomes Norrell's student and they join forces in the war against France. But Strange is ever drawn to the wildest, most perilous forms of magic, straining his partnership with Norrell, and putting at risk everything else he holds dear.

This is an enormous book that I've been putting off for some time just because of the immense size. It sounds really interesting and people who've read it always say that it is brilliant. But it is huge!

A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin 
Summers soon decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.

Really I just want read the whole series, well the books that are out at the moment anyway. But I think that the first book is probably the best to get started. I have read a few of the books yet rereading them all with give me a broader insight on the world once more. I do adore the tv show anyway but I just want to see the tiny details that Martin is so famous for.

It, by Stephen King 
To the children, the town was their whole world. To the adults, knowing better, it was just their home town: familiar, well ordered for the most part. A good place to live. But it was the children that saw and felt how horribly different Derry can be. In the drains, IT lurks and will take on the the shape of your deepest darkest fear.

I've wanted to read this for so long but every time I pick it up and my mind goes in a sort of fear; at both the immense size and the content. But I want to read it so that's not going to stop me!

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, by Jules Verne 
My desire to read more classics this year is continued with Captain Nemo and the Nautilus. But Nemo is out for revenge and no one will get in his way.
This is something that I've wanted to read for so long and this time I'm actually going to read it.

Flowers in the Attic, by V. C. Andrews 
This thriller tells four children who are hidden away from the world in their grandmother's attic whilst their mother is away. But they soon realise that they may never be allowed out again.

I found this and immediately made it a part of my collection but this blurb has been stuck in my head for so long that I want to read it before this summer ends! It just sounds amazing.

The Shining Girls, by Lauren Beukes
Harper Curtis is a killer who stepped out of the past. Kirby Mazrachi is the girl who was never meant to have a future. Kirby is the last shining girl, one of the bright young women whose lives Harper is destined to snuff out after he stumbled on a House in the era of Depression Chicago that opens on to other times. Harper is the ultimate hunter, vanishing into another time after each murder, untraceable. That is until his last victim survives and Kirby must bring her would be killer to justice.

This was a book that I bought for about three pounds in hardback at the works, bargain, and I liked the sound of it. But it's just sat there on my shelf for ages until now. I am going to pick it up this summer!

Inferno, by Dan Brown
In the heart of Italy, Harvard professor of symbology Robert Langdon is drawn into a harrowing world centred around one of history's most enduring and mysterious literary masterpieces ... Dante's Inferno.

It's been over a year since I read a Dan Brown book and, though they are hard to get into, I always find them extremely gripping and they do turn my head a bit. So, since they are fairly long, I know that a long summer holiday will be the best time to read one of these books.

A Court of Mist and Fury, by Sarah J. Maas
Eyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court - but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human and she can't forget what she had to do to survive. Not to mention the bargain she had made with the High Lord of the Night Court which she will be taken to so that she can spend part of the year with him.

I attempted to pick up a few months ago but I couldn't concentrate because of how much work I had to do. But now that I basically have nothing to do then I know that I'll definitely be able to read it at last!

Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo
Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Not its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee; Alina Starkov.

When I picked this up originally I was entering a reading slump so I couldn't get into it at all. But so many people rave about this trilogy that I need to give it a go!

So there are the books that I want to read this summer. What about you? Anything fairly major that you feel like reading during the summer holidays this year?

-IAMAGEEKINGGINGER!
Book Total of 2016 - 54
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment